From the Depths
From the Depths is a physics-driven warfare game and the first game made by Brilliant Skies where players design and build their own vehicles block by block. From the Depths was Greenlit on Steam in 2014 and continues to evolve in a semi-polished alpha state with community feedback driving many improvements to the game.
Build devastating war machines to dominate the land, sea, and skies using our intuitive voxel based building system. Fully customize every weapon from a huge selection of components. Bring your creations to life with the simple and flexible AI tools. Conquer the world in the strategic single player campaign and story modes or battle with your friends online in our online co-op mode. From the Depths lets you do it all.
Key features[edit | edit source]
- Design vehicles however you want. The game currently has over 400 unique component blocks.
- Design your own weapons with fully customisable modular weapon systems. These include missiles/ torpedoes, advanced cannons, CRAM cannons, lasers, and particle accelerator cannons.
- Realistic physics - every block destroyed or added affects the vehicle's functionality, physics and control. Drag, inertia, buoyancy and sealed compartments are all updated based on the design of your vehicle and the damage sustained.
- Dynamic damage simulation including shell penetration and explosions.
- Industry leading detection mechanics (radar, sonar, IR, visual, retro-reflection, wireless signal detection)
- Build fortress bases, mine for resources and battle other factions in campaign mode where strength and diplomacy are the keys to victory.
- Battle against fleets of AI craft and build your own to meet the menace.
- RPG-Style character progression with levels, perks, skills and inventory systems.
- In-game Steam workshop support to share your creations with the world.
- Available now on PC, Mac and Linux.
- Be part of a fantastic community, with new releases made on average once a week. Community organised challenges and blueprint sharing make it an extremely friendly place to hang out!
Customisable components[edit | edit source]
- Design custom missiles, bombs, depth charges and torpedoes by combining various warheads types, fuse types, IR seekers, laser beam riders, laser designators, thrusters, navigation algorithms, fuel pods, sonar seekers, buoyancy compartments and propellers, to deliver a truly bespoke weapon.
- Build custom cannons by combining four different barrel types and lengths with auto-loaders, warhead types, ammo boxes and auxiliary components to create everything from AA cannons to artillery.
- Devise custom AI by combining an AI mainframe with 'AI cards' slotted into motherboard blocks. Add radar detection, laser detection and tracking and local weapon controllers to give partial or full control to AI. Create anything from a fully AI controlled aircraft carrier to a battery powered drone.
- Construct custom engines using crank shafts, cylinders, carburetors, super chargers, exhausts and fuel injectors. Electric engines, generators and chargers are also available for backup power supplies and drones.
- Similar systems exist for the creation of anti-vehicle and anti-missile lasers, as well as drills that can cut even the largest of battleships in half.
Campaign mode[edit | edit source]
- Embark on an engrossing single player campaign to defeat the eight faction houses of the planet.
- Capture and fortify resource rich territory to secure your faction's success.
- Create harvesting machines to gather resources and turn them into ammunition, fuel and spare parts.
- Build, maintain and command your fleets whilst planning your strategy on every level from the fuel efficiency of an engine to influencing multi-faction diplomatic relations with bribes and unprovoked attacks.
- Take on a range of specific story driven missions to win that unlock new and advanced components.
- Issue complex commands with a fully featured 3D waypoint system.
- Get a birds-eye-view of the battlefield with a detailed strategic overview.
Create[edit | edit source]
- In From the Depths you can create almost anything you want! Enter Build Mode and spend resources to place different components from the build menu.
- In Build Mode the player avatar is left idle and the camera follows a Build Marker that can be easily maneuvered into position using either key or mouse led controls.
- Using Build Mode a player can build even the largest vehicles, structures and fortresses extremely quickly - placing blocks as fast as they can click, and using mirrors, flood fills and prefabricated item placement to speed things up.
- Use the Vehicle Designer to create with unlimited resources allowing you to create anything you like from a space zeppelin to an accurate reconstruction of the Bismark. Your imagination is the only limit.
Upload and share your creations as blueprints on the Steam Workshop will full in-game workshop support
- Use designs you create or download from the workshop in the campaign and story game modes.
Destroy[edit | edit source]
- The various vehicles, sky fortresses and structure mounted weapons can all be player controlled, controlled through fire control computers, or given to the command of a nearby Local Weapon Controller.
- Firing is as simple as looking towards your target and hitting fire. You can choose what weapons you want to fire by assigning them to weapon slots allowing for varied attacks.
- The heads up display will show you exactly how many weapons of each type "can fire", "can aim", "cannot aim", and are "are in a different control quadrant". You can easily flick between missiles, torpedoes, lasers, cannons, or any combination.
- Damage is totally localized and each block behaves differently - some are armored, some explode when destroyed. Losing a vital component of your vehicle can mean life or death so protecting your munitions supplies, engines and fuel tanks with armor is recommended.
- Blocks when destroyed turn into debris. If you knock out a crucial block, for example a block in a mast, then the disconnected blocks will all fall off. You can blow a vehicle in half!
- Battles will be fierce and unforgiving but there are many ways of repairing (or completely rebuilding) your constructs to their original state completely automatically, such as repair bots and repair tentacles (block based) and your character's repair arm utility.
Multiplayer[edit | edit source]
- The AI fight mode was released in July '14 and allows players to face their AI controlled designs off against each other in staged battles.
- The co-op creative mode was first released in September '14 and allows players to use all of the utilities of the single player creative mode but with multiple players.
- Upcoming multiplayer Modes include: Death Match, Team Death Match, King of the Hill, co-op Monster Hunter, Assault/Defend Challenges and more!